Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2019 21:36:55 +1000
From:      Graham Menhennitt <graham@menhennitt.com.au>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB scanner broken in VirtualBox

Hello FreeBSDers,

I have an Epson V700 Photo scanner connected via USB. I use the original=20
Epson software running in a VirtualBox instance of Windows XP. It's all=20
worked fine for years until a couple of weeks ago.

The Epson software correctly detects the scanner and can initiate a scan=20
successfully. The carriage moves and the scanner light comes on. The=20
carriage moves to the end of the scan and returns to it's home position.=20
But,according to the software, the scan never completes. The software=20
continues saying "scan in progress" and the green LED on the scanner=20
shows that it's scanning. Eventually, the software times out and reports=20
"trouble communicating with the scanner".

I can successfully scan on FreeBSD using the "sane" port. But the Epson=20
software is easier to use.

I upgraded my FreeBSD via source and rebuilt my ports including=20
VirtualBox. I'm running FreeBSD 12-Stable with source as of last week,=20
and VirtualBox 5.2.30. VBox 5.2.28 has the same problem.

Does anybody have any clues, please? Is there something I can do to=20
diagnose it?

Thanks for any help,

 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Graham