Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 17:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: workaround for talk's address problem

> > > NFS has the exact same problem, FWIW.  If there's a more general
> > > solution, we should go for it.
> >
> > NFS does not have such a problem, or at least I have never seen it, and
> > I have _lots_ of networks, all but 1 serving NFS:
>
> I can reproduce this easily.  Just take my gateway box and make both
> of its addresses, the "lower numbered one for slip" and the "higher
> one for local subnet", use the same name.  Then try to NFS mount
> something from one of the private subnet hosts - it will fail since
> DNS returns the entry for the slip line, not the ethernet.  I bit
> myself with this and have since gone to separate hostnames for each
> interface.

Lets see here:
gndrsh# nslookup gndrsh
Server:  gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Address:  0.0.0.0

Name:    gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Addresses:  198.145.92.17, 198.145.92.33, 198.145.92.49, 198.145.92.241

Okay, I am subnetted 0xfffffff0, .17 is my 10Mb/s ether, .33 and .49 are
2 100Mb/s ethernets.  I can nfs mount from any of those three networks
without any problems what so ever.  I do it all day long and have been for
over a month with this setup.

.241 is a slip line, but an NFS mount from 198.145.92.45 has no problem
at all mounting disks from gndrsh.

I don't know what you are doing, but it should just work. I suspect you
have a routing setup problem.  Or the udp hack was causing you greif.

Are you sure you restarted mountd after screwing with the DNS names?  mountd
only does DNS lookup of host names when it reads the /etc/exports file.  If
the IP addresses are added to DNS after that your screwed.  Infact mountd is
pretty braindead in that respect, and should probably do the DNS lookup
each time a request is made, or atleast not use data longer than the DNS
TTL value.