Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail HELP!

According to Paul T. Root:

> > > All three of these look like name server problems.
> > > How is you /etc/hosts.conf setup. And you /etc/resolv.conf?
> > >

> >         In /etc/hosts.conf is
> >
> >         hosts
> >         bind
> >
> >         and in the resolv.conf files are my nameservers.
> >
> >         gary
>
> Hmm,
> 	That looks fine.
>
> The resolv.conf should look like:
>
> domain	my.domain.here.
> nameserver	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>    etc.
>
> or
>
> search my.domain.here domain.here other.domain.to.search up.to.six.domains
> nameserver	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>    etc.
>
> Past that. you need to make sure your sendmail.cf knows what its hostname,
> domainname and aliases are. Also, if you are masquarading as another host
> (i.e. my machine pretends to be astro when sending out mail so mail goes
> back to astro on a reply.
>
> Paul.

	Thanks, Paul, and to everyone else who tried to help me
	puzzle this out.  Mostly, profound thanks are due (and
	acknowledged) to Bob Beaulieu  << bobb@netcom.com >>.

	Bob and I spend hours over the weekend, comparing files,
	set-ups, and possibilities.  Turns out that the main
	part of the problem was that my sendmail.cf was missing
	four or five lines that told sendmail how to deliver local
	mail.

	I watched the trace as `sendmail -v' tried to connect to
	my nameserver, etc, etc.  But the real light dawned when
	I diff'd my file against Bob's.

	I got my sendmail.cf from a friend/user of NetBSD who has his
	system connected directly to the net via ISDN.  That may
	have been why the ``local part'' of the ruleset was
	missing in his version.  That's only a guess.

	The short of it is that things work _mostly_.  In time,
	when I've gathered enough courage, I'll set it up so that
	sendmail delivered either via IP or UUCP.  ....

	A final observation here is that this:: the net, mailgroups
	or mailing lists; this small virtual slice of reality that
	we've all cobbled together is such a major win!   What a plus
	this is...   ---Several years ago when I was running a
	commercial Unix on my 286, I reported a bug fix by email
	and asked how soon they would be sending me back a fix.  I
	got back a one-liner from somebody:
			``You've got to be kidding.''

	That summarizes the differences in philosophy and possibilities
	better than anything that I could write up.

	gary