Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 13:00:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Not seeing disc at start up

I wrote about this before, but got no response to it.  I'm wondering
if this is just "the way it is" or a bug.  Dmesg stripped down to the
essentials:

FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #0: Sat Mar 25 12:05:29 PST 1995
nca0 at 0x1f88-0x1f8b irq 12 on isa
nca0: type ProAudioSpectrum-16
(nca0:1:0): "MEDIAVIS CDR-H93MV 1.41" is a type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0(nca0:1:0): CD-ROM
cd0(nca0:1:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0
cd0(nca0:1:0): Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed
cd0: could not get size
drive empty
pas0 at 0x388 irq 10 drq 3 on isa
pas0: <Pro AudioSpectrum 16D rev 255>
opl0 at 0x38a on isa
opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>

There is a disc in the drive.  -current installs prior to 3/10 would
correctly indicate a disc in the drive and print the size.  After all
the new sound stuff went in earlier this month, it reports the "Not
ready to ready transition" (is that a typo?  What's that mean?),
"cound not get size", and the lone "drive empty" on a new line.

Yet, I can work with CDs just fine.  So I'm thinking that there is
something amiss in the startup probing phase.  Comments?