Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:12:55 +0100
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Filtering on IPSEC

Hi All,
I've setup my first IPSEC VPN beetween FreeBSD 8.2 and CheckPoint VPN-1.
I've used a gif interface for the tunnel, setkey for security policies
and racoon for ikev1. All is working fine, but I get a strange behavior:
outgoing packets go via enc0, while incoming packets arrive in gif0. To
be precise, setting to '3' all the net.enc.* sysctls and sending a ping
via vpn, I see the echo request, the encapsulated echo request, the
encapsulated echo reply on enc0 and the echo reply on gif0. Is it
correct? I expected to see all 4 packets on enc0, and perhaps the 2
clear packets also on gif0. The current behavior makes impossibile to
use firewall stateful filtering.

I have also another question (about NAT before IPSEC), but it's
partially related to this first issue, so I'll wait for a clarification
before exposing it.

--
Alex Dupre