Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 14:52:18 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, kjc@csl.sony.co.jp, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: struct ifnet handling...

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 12:46:26PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > > I think it is only a matter of naming (witnessed by the "rule list"
> > > name used by cisco) and perhaps of having some default demux/mux of
> > > 'chains' (but that could give a loss of flexibility for no real
> > > performance advantage).
> >
> > I still don't see how you're loosing flexibility, even if you should
> > decide to provide this interface as an alternate interface for the
> > users.
>
> i was/am under the impression that you  don't want to insert "SKIPTO"
> instructions in your filter, but rather provide fixes paths for the
> rules.

No.  I'd have preferred for the skipto's to be implemented as calls to
separate chains, but that is too late now.  Not supporting skiptos
isn't an option - there is too large installed base.

> if you provide SKIPTO instructions, then your proposal is a
> superset of what I and presumably Julian are talking about.

It is a rather different internal organization, but yes, it support
the same functionality (unless you elect to use the restricted
interface to make it easier for the kernel to optimize for speed).

Eivind.