Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 14:29:44 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where is the FreeBSD Mozilla CVS server?

> > But, developing a new Java VM inside of netscape if you have access to
> > Sun's sources using the 'educational' licensing is strictly prohibited,
> > no mater how good your intentions are.
>
> I strongly disagree with this unqualified statement.  Who prohibits
> it?  What text of the license?  If you don't use the Sun code, the
> license does not in any way constrain you from working on any kind
> of new code.

Sure it does.  Go read the license that you signed in order to get
access to the source code.  If you want to do anything commercial (which
includes making a $$, even if you're not the one making a $$), then
you've gotta pay sun a pretty tidy sum of money.  Last I heard it was
close to a million dollars.

Even if you don't use Sun code, you are 'tainted' from working on
writing a different VM.  This is basic Reverse Engineering 101.  The
folks who look at the code aren't allowed to write the code for the new
implementation.

Nate