Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:38:27 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

> Given the # of TP560's in the ranks of the developers, I figured
> breaking what appears to be the most popular laptops seemed a bad things
> to do.

Definitely.  (I'll pause to swear vigorously about documentation and
the difficulties in getting the (&^%$*&^%$* stuff.)

> > It'd be nice to have a generic probe-time
> > test-for-an-interrupt function, along the lines of what the sio(4)
> > driver does to test the interrupt function of the 8250.
>
> Yep.  Sounds like a job for 'Laptop-Mike'.  The hooks are are there in
> pcic.c:build_freelist. :)

Actually, I'd like something like:

	interrupt_capture(NULL);
	poke_hardware();
	interrupt_capture(&interrupts);

which would come back with a bitmask of interrupts that were generated
between the two capture calls.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure I know how
to get this right, especially in the mixed interrupts disabled/enabled
environment.  One of these days I'll work out how to enthuse Bruce
about something, and it'll just, er, pop out. 8)

> > Sorry, I will clarify.  There are two interrupts that I make available
> > for PCCARDs, 9 and 10.  These are declared in /etc/pccard.conf, and are
> > not used by anything else in the system.
>
> So, cards that previously worked with these two interrupts no longer
> work?  *dang*

That's correct.  Boot old kernel, cards work.  Boot new kernel, "driver
allocation failed for...".

We *really*must* improve that error message.  I've been loth to get
really dirty with the pccard* utilities because the PAO people have so
much layered on top of them, but IMHO they really have to be redone
from scratch.  8(

> > Older kernels allocate IRQ 3 to the pcic, and the newer top-down code
> > allocates IRQ 11.  Both of these seem to work, insofar as card
> > insertion/removal events are signalled as expected.
>
> Good (I think??).

Yup.

> I don't remember my "hiding the 'interrupt configuration' messages"
> changes.  Or at least that's not how I think of them, so I'm not sure
> what changes I made you're talking about.

The kernel that works says:

        device combination doesn't support shared irq4
        intr_connect(irq4) failed, result=-1
        device combination doesn't support shared irq5
        intr_connect(irq5) failed, result=-1
        device combination doesn't support shared irq7
        intr_connect(irq7) failed, result=-1
        device combination doesn't support shared irq12
        intr_connect(irq12) failed, result=-1
        device combination doesn't support shared irq14
        intr_connect(irq14) failed, result=-1
        device combination doesn't support shared irq15
        intr_connect(irq15) failed, result=-1
PC-Card Intel 82365 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
pcic: controller irq 3
Card inserted, slot 0
Card inserted, slot 1
sio1: type 16550A
ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:60:97:88:e7:93

The one that doesn't says:

pcic: controller irq 11
Card inserted, slot 0
Card inserted, slot 1
driver allocation failed for Megahertz
driver allocation failed for 3Com Corporation

> Do you have a 3.0 box, or is it now running 2.2?  The changes will
> initially be made to 3.0, since it's already (apparently) broken there.

Real hackers run -current on their laptop, remember?

> Finally, any help you can give to figuring out why the current code is
> not working on your laptop, or better yet a pointer to the code that
> breaks it would be greatly appreciated.

As soon as this ^&%$&^% 2.2.5 tag is laid down I'll be started.
Someone forgot to move his cvsup cron job when he shifted his repo. 8(

mike