Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:13:15 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where wasFreeBSD?

> Tell you what, Jordan: If you're ever hit by a car, remind me to blame
> you for leaving the house.

<terry-lambert-mode>

Assuming that I was hit by the car while crossing the street outside a
cross-walk and without looking first, this is a good analogy if you
don't quibble about the fact that the blame would more correctly fall
upon my failure to look where I was going than on the act of simply
leaving my house.  It also supports my point, however, so I guess I'd
also have to thank you for the fine analogy and congradulate you on
finally getting the idea after having so many people attempt (and
fail) to inject it directly into your head with the aid of particle
accellerators and such.

If you're using getting hit by a car as symbology for "a random act of
god", on the other hand, then it's unfortunately a rather poor analogy
on account of the fact that it a) shows a fundamental lack of
understanding about what precipitates the great majority of auto
accidents (driver error) and b) incorrectly equates the perils of
system administration with that of random meteor impacts and other
events completely outside one's control.  A good system administrator
has a great deal more control over their environment than that and can
take a wide variety of preventive measures not available to the
Extinction Event Scenario folks in order to prevent situations exactly
like yours from occurring at all.

Oh yeah, and transitive closure over a virtualized interface boundry.
I almost forgot that bit.

</terry-lambert-mode>