Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:53:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christoph Weber-Fahr <wefa@nxcon.tnd.lab.arcor.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/95165: 6.1 Beta 4 ISO (386) fails upgrade and destroys old install

>Number:         95165
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       6.1 Beta 4 ISO (386) fails upgrade and destroys old install
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
no environment string available - system is unusable until
completely reinstalled (or possibly manually repaired.)

HW is a HP Proliant DL380 G3

	The upgrade function fails to complete and renders the system
	unusable.
	I tried to binary ugrade a 4.11-RELEASE-p9 system which was
	working fine.
	Precise problem is that is complains about a write error with
	the base install set. Looking at F2 reveals that the "error" is
	a "permission denied" while trying to unpack/move /stand/gunzip
	One thing I noted is that the install set uses leading "/" -
	maybe it tries to overwrite the cd or the mfs instead of writing to
	the target disk.

	whatever you do the base distribution install is aborted here and
	sysinstall continues with the bin distribution.

	later it retries with the same problem. After reboot the system
	is unusable.

	trying the same with the 5.4-RELEASE cd works just fine.

	Another issue: apparently the beta4 ISOs do not conatain any
	packages. for X.org sysinstall complains about a missing
	index file.