Date:      Fri, 23 Sep 2022 12:54:27 -0700
From:      Dan Mahoney <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        void <void@f-m.fm>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best mime-aware MUA for reading local (mbox format) mail?

> On Sep 23, 2022, at 11:17, void <void@f-m.fm> wrote:
>=20
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 04:23:07AM -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>> I often send mime mail (image attachments and such) to myself and =
need
>> a MUA that can display the attachments so I can visually debug the
>> code that does the sending.   What, if any, ports would be helpful
>> here?
>=20
> I use mutt in a console or in a shell via ssh. If I need to see
> an attachment, I'll either pipe it to a program or save the attachment
> and then run whatever is suitable for viewing it. That might be too
> much effort for some use cases. What environment are you reading email =
in?

My workflow is 20-something years old but still heavily involves gnu =
screen, alpine (and previously, pine).  Back in the days when dialup was =
a thing, and attachments took time -- and when you had the problem of =
getting your mail on multiple computers, pine over telnet/ssh was still =
the fastest way to have history on all my things.  Since then, I still =
find it to be faster at searching the inbox than most other programs.

Since my mac also seems hellbent on downloading and badly indexing every =
single folder in my imap collection, I've done some Stupid Dovecot =
Tricks to not expose all of ~/mail to it, because my message history =
goes back 20 years.

Since you mentioned MIME, I have a little extension I've added.

My pine install runs on my box where I also have a webserver in =
~/public_html -- so I have a viewer defined for long urls that may need =
to be clicked in a "real" browser (i.e. not Lynx), and it both displays =
a URL I can command-click in my ssh app, as well as a terminal-based QR =
code (like, made of whitespace blocks) that I can use with my phone.  It =
would be trivial to adapt that viewer to also display images the same =
way.

Some terminals (like iTerm) actually have support for inline image =
display in some situations as well.

-Dan=