Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:23:03 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Richard Cadwalader <richard@howitsdone.net>
Subject:   Re: Can't get rid of IPv6

--nextPart1679628.UI1niWjeMM

On Monday, 3. January 2005 19:49, Richard Cadwalader wrote:
> I need to get rid of IPv6 altogether. I have 5.3 current.
>
> here is what it's doing:
> browsing the net is imposible (signing into AIM, IRC, mail, anything that
> uses a dns server is also imposible.)
>
> takes forever to resolve by name, resolves in milisecnds and loads the pa=
ge
> in half a second when using IP

Probably your dns servers (or the ones of your ISP) are misconfigured. Perh=
aps=20
there's also a local firewall setup to blame, but it shouldn't really be ab=
le=20
to interfere once you completely disabled ipv6 support in the kernel as you=
=20
said you did.

Are you sure you haven't accidentally put ipv6_enable=3D"YES" into /etc/rc.=
conf?

> Here is what I did to try to fix it:
> checked and edited all the config files (inetd.conf, resolve.conf)
> no change
>
> Looked for the infamous 99kde-env file that is supposed to have some kind
> of ENABLE_IPV6_no=3D"1" line in it, and it's not in 5.3...

You probably mean KDE_NO_IPV6=3D1. That's an environment variable you can s=
et=20
before running startkde (or from a script with an .sh extension in $HOME/en=
v=20
or /usr/local/env), which will cause KDE (and all KDE components) to not=20
attempt any ipv6 operations.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org