Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 11:51:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      batie@aahz.jf.intel.com (Alan Batie)
To:        richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Teletext and intercast

> Potentially interesting, but we don't have Intercast here anyway (does
> anywhere outside the US?)

I don't have any connection with them, other than that they work in the
same campus, and I suspect this was a hypothetical question, but since
I know it's being worked on, I thought I'd toss a quick response out...

>From the Intercast FAQ at http://www.intercast.org/info/info08.htm :

    Q5. Will the Intercast medium be available outside of the USA?
    What are the plans for implementing Intercast technology on
    the PAL broadcast standard?

    Initially, <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/iaweb/intercast/index.htm">;
    Intel Intercast technology</A> will be developed and deployed
    in the United States and is based on the NTSC broadcast standard.
    PAL is expected to be supported by the end of 1997.  Differing
    TV standards and government regulations in various countries
    will have to be addressed before the Intercast medium can be
    broadly deployed outside of the US.  Intel is investigating
    the internationalization of the Intercast technology.

--
Alan Batie                     ------        What goes up, must come down.
batie@aahz.jf.intel.com        \    /        Ask any system administrator.