Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 09:19:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        vsilyaev@mindspring.com (Vladimir N. Silyaev)
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: Update port VMware 1.1 for Linux, Networking Support

Vladimir N. Silyaev writes:
| > This stuff is too cool, I just psuedo netbooted -current in a vmware session.
| > The catch is that Etherboot doesn't work with the vmware pcnet chip so
| You can try to use Netboot: http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot/
| It's use a DOS packet drivers to build images. The AMD had a packet
| driver to their pcnet/lance chip (and it really work with vmmare
| 'version' of this chip). When I last time checked the Netboot, it's worked
| without problem on a FreeBSD.

Okay, I tried that with the packet driver from AMD & from Russel.  Neither
of them work.  So far what I get is that they say they found the PCNET
device at mem 0x1000 and irq 9.  Which is correct according to a booted
Win95 or FreeBSD.  However, neither Etherboot or the Netboot with a packet
driver sends any packets out vmnet1 (I'm running tcpdump on vmnet1).
Note I have Win95 & FreeBSD setup to use DHCP/BOOTP and they both work.

Did you try to use Netboot and get it working?  If you did please send
me a copy so I can try it in my setup.

My setup is running vmware as a non-root user with the linux procfs module
and network in Host-only mode.

If you want I can send you mine.

Thanks,

Doug A.