Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 21:39:16 +0000
From:      "Troy Settle" <Troy.Settle@usit.net>
To:        rfogle@ultra2.ionet.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help!@#

On 25 Jan 97 at 19:33, Pamela Fogle babbled something about:

> I was in the process of dumping my linux system in favor for a
> FreeBSD box when it all came to an abrupt halt.
>   I downloaded boot.flp from your site.  I used normal ftp (not
>
> netscape) and ensured it was a binary transfer.  I have win95
> on my system (for other household inhabitants to use) and I
> used rawrite.exe through straight DOS.  I've tried the entire
> process many times, and I always get this error when I try to
> boot from the install floppy:
>
> BIOS Basemem(639k) != RTC Basemem(640k)
>
> FATAL TRAP 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>
> Fault Virtual Address:  0xcc
> Fault Code: supervisor read, page not present
> Instructor Pointer: 0x8:0xf019e3de
> Code Segment: base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b, DPL 0, pres
> 1,
>               def 321, gran 1
> Processor Flags: resume, IOPL=0
> Current Proc: 0()
> Interupt Mask: net tty bio
> Panic: page fault
>
> OK, here's some specs on my puter:
>
>   1.  486dx2/50, 16meg Ram, 8k l1 cache, 0k l2 cache
>   2.  Make: Acer  Model: AcerAcros model #91.41301.949
>   3.  PS/2 mouse, on-board VGA
>
> If you need any more info, I'll do my best to supply it to
> you..  Please help, the future of a Linux convert hangs in the
> balance.. :)

When using RAWRITE.EXE, you need to go into DOS mode, not just a
dos window.

If you haven't already dumped your linux system, try using dd.

>    Thank you,
>
>    Richard N. Fogle
>    rfogle@mail.ionet.net

---
Network Administrator   (learning quickly)
iPlus Internet Services (ready for testing)
http://www.i-Plus.net   (kinda there)