Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 22:16:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New drivers and install floppy space

> > The alternative will be to have a single minimal kernel and mfsroot
> > floppy, and another floppy with a pile of KLD modules on it.  This
> > won't be feasible until the PCI code moves to the new bus architecture
> > (soon we hope).
>
> I would like to see this too, but I would also like to see the
> ability to provide 3rd party drivers during the install.

[ ... ]

> This would allow hardware vendors to provide drivers that can
> be loaded and used during installation of FreeBSD, and it would
> make it easier for users to load FreeBSD using newly written
> drivers (that is, written by us) without having to wait for the
> next release or build a custom installation floppy.

This is the partial culmination of the benefits of a modular kernel.

I would suggest that architectural care be given to allowing:

o	use of DOS format floppies to conatin the driver

o	specification of  the FS path to the driver directory

o	selection of a default "/freebsd/" directory

o	a naming format that can return all drivers, but
	avoid other (informational, etc.) files, such as
	the driver directory

o	support for using drivers from multiple floppies,
	one per device

o	a mechanism for dumping drivers from the kernel after
	installation so that they need not be installed twice:
	once to boot, once to install; this probably implies
	driver data areas be mapped copy-on-write to maintain
	the data image integrity to allow it to be written
	back out

This would allow the FreeBSD project to provide binary drivers
back to vendors for inclusion on their distribution media, and
in general, help raise FreeBSD visibility considerably.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.