Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 10:02:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        chx0@mail.opensol.com.ar (CHX0)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internal modem question

According to CHX0:

> I've hooked an internal modem to a 2.1.0 freebsd box as COM3. Any
> attempts to "cu" the modem and set its registers were unsuccessful. I
> want to use it for uucp or as dialup terminal.
>
> I've tried putting a line in /etc/ttys that says
>
> ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on
>
> and tried "cu -l cuaa2" without success. Any "cu" to every /dev/cu* device
> yields the same message, for example:
>
> cu: open (/dev/cuaa0): Device not configured
> cu: cuaa0: Line in use
>
> I have under /dev cuaa0 to cuaa3, cuaia0 to cuaia3 and cuala0 to cuala3, and
> have tried them all.
>
> Anybody knows how to proceed ?

	I've _just_ finished the move from cu/uucp/news on my
	old SVR4 system to FreeBSD--after hours of trouble-shooting
	and thanks to the help from this group.   Perhaps my
	experiences will be of some help.

	Have you set up your /etc/uucp files?  This is essential
	to getting both cu and uucp working.  Have  you set up
	`tip' and got it working?

	The order I took was.

	1) tip
	2) cu
	3) uucp

	We probably should take this off-line to save some bandwidth.
	If you would,  write me via  ``kline@tao.thought.org''.  I
	believe my MX configuration is finally right.

	gary kline