Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 08:50:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        skidoo@mindspring.com (andrew skidmore)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: winmodems

andrew skidmore wrote:
> just bought 56*winmodem cause needed new modem- new for 50 bucks then on
> second thought realized it might not support bsd... my planned move to it
> is spoild'?  I call US Rob and the cust serv guy doesnt know what unix is
> and asks me to spell it... then puts me on hold for so long, i hang up,
> answerless.. are my instincts correct?

They are completely accurate, as far as I know. Trade up to a 'real'
modem, preferably external. (they're nicer. Couriers are nicest.)

I don't think winmodems are supported on Free|Net|Open BSD nor on
Linux. If anybody knows of a non-M$ OS that supports them, I'd be
fascinated to hear about it. (OS/2?)

I believe there's another P.O.S. called a winprinter.

The 'win' in these names does not apply to the buyer.

Dave.
--
        If somebody 'wins', somebody else 'loses'.