Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:38:43 -0700
From:      Thomas Stephens <tas@stephens.org>
To:        butthead@icb.spb.su
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, chris@calldei.com, Thomas Stephens <tas@stephens.org>
Subject:   Re: ps report

Chris Costello wrote:
>   Unlike Linux, you have to upgrade the whole system to -CURRENT
>with FreeBSD.  You need to read the "staying current with
>FreeBSD" section of the handbook.  Knowledge of these things are
>important if you plan on using -CURRENT.  You'll be seeing a lot
>of changes when/if you do fully upgrade to the -CURRENT source
>tree.

Even though the Linux people try to keep the kernel interfaces stable
(so you can incrementally upgrade the kernel without breaking userland),
the major distributors still advise against using newer (or older!)
kernels with their userland packages.

Upgrading only a kernel is a bit like replacing a car's engine with one
from a newer model.  If it's similar enough that it will fit, and you
can attach everything properly, it'll probably work (for the most part).
Nevertheless, you're much better off simply upgrading to the newer
model (and with FreeBSD, the new model's free :-) ).

Upgrading the whole system is obviously more difficult than just
upgrading the kernel, but the result is better, and it is amazingly easy
to upgrade FreeBSD (at least in my experience).

If you've got enough space, I suggest you install the whole source tree
via cvsup (take a look at /usr/ports/net/cvsupd-bin, /etc/make.conf and
the cvsup examples pointed to by the latter).  After you've set
everything up, you can cd to /usr/src and type `make update' to bring
your source tree up to date.  The next step is to build the world, which
is explained in the following document:

http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

Good luck!

Thomas Stephens