Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 21:05:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Now that sigcontext is gone ...

<<On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 09:42:45 +1000 (EST), Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> said:

> More details on the POSIX signal numbers: SIGBUS is mainly for accesses
> beyond the end of mmap()ed objects.  It's not clear what this means in
> an address space with multiple mmap()ed objects and/or non-mmap()ed
> objects.

`Beyond the end of the object' refers to the situation where the
mmap()ed region was specified with a longer length than the underlying
object.  Thus, under the following procedure:

#define	PGSZ sysconf(_SC_PAGE_SIZE)
	fd = shm_open(...);
	ftruncate(fd, PGSZ);
	p = mmap(fd, ..., 2 * PGSZ, ...);

...an access to p at offsets in the interval [PGSZ,2*PGSZ) should
generate a SIGBUS.

-GAWollman