Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:29:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      supraexpress@globaleyes.net
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Splash screen votes

I vote for #3.

For me, #1 is a little too bland by itself. If it were overlayed with
something else in one or more colors, then it might be a better background
than the other samples.

For me, #2 has a nice color gradiation, but the repition pattern "gets in the
way" and the BSD daemon is relegated too much into the background.

Whilst it would be nice to have some light color in #3 other than grey, its
"box insert" centering around the "Gnome foot", name, and version number
makes for a nice offset. The "blank tab" at the bottom makes for a nice
"message box", and even if not used for that, is another visual element that
adds flavor to the other elements. The BSD Daemon is the best representation
in #3, is uncluttered by any background elements (including the nice
shading), and easily stands out amongst the entire splash without overtaking
it.