Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 15:55:01 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Spamoff <Spambait@tampabay.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Packages - how do you use therm

Spamoff wrote:

> Hello  :)
>
> I've been going around in circles with these and am getting nowhere depsite
> having Greg's book and looking at the web site.
>
> 1)   Can someone pleasqe expalin to me, succinctly, how you use packages after
> you have installed them using /stand/sysinstall OR pkg_add.
>
> I've done it both ways, I searched for their location. I've tried to read the
> files present and failed pretty much.
>
> Packages are supposed to be binary from what I understand, and ports are src
> that you build ???

You should just be able to type the name of the binary at a command
prompt. You could try ``rehash'' first, then the binary name.

Note that the binary name is not the exactly the same as the package
name, the latter includes the version number, e.g. urlview-0.7 is the
package but ``urlview'' is the filename.

If all else fails look in

   /var/db/pkg/<package name>/+CONTENTS

look for line(s) ``@cwd'' and lines containing a likely filename:

@cwd /usr/local

bin/urlview....

This means your binary is ``/usr/local/bin/urlview''

HTH