Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 11:16:59 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Phil Homewood <pdh@bit.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-R server /var running out of inodes (not a usenet question)

>> Note that /var only has 2% of inodes in use!  Hunting through my log
>> files I don't find any clues suggesting what happened.
>
>10 to 1 that you have some process rotating logfiles but not
>releasing an open filehandle when it does.

Ok, at first glance that sounds like a good guess.  But if this was it
I would expect to see a more or less linear increase in inode usage
over time.  I haven't seen that but I've only been spot-checking.  It
seems like inode usage is more or less the same until the near the
critical moment.  Thinking back I did manage to catch it once as it was
happening a few months ago, but I only had a few minutes to poke around
looking for clues before it went belly-up.  I'm guessing you're wrong,
but I think I'll whip up a cron job to periodically log inode usage
anyhow.  That should at least help build a better evidence trail for
next time.

>/usr/ports/sysutils/lsof is your friend :-)

Good point.  The trick is invoking it at the point when there is
actually something to see.  Hmm, maybe I can work that into the above
cron job.

-Mitch