Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:38:49 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP, 4GB RAM, 4x CPU

On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 02:34:47PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Again, and again, I see so many unreflecting "performance tests" made by
> simply compiling the system. No, no, no. Well, listen to this: some guy

The only accurate performance test is reality.

> My question is, hopefuly, simple: I need objective and true informations about
> how "ggod" the SMP implementation of FreeBSD 3.2 is, how "stable" and usable
> the system is for usage with 4x CPU (Xeon) and 4GB RAM. We have some offers

ftp.cdrom.com runs FreeBSD on a Xeon/500 with 4GB ram.  They have no
stability problems.  Obviously, they don't run fortran programs, but
you shouldn't experience stability problems.  I'm not sure if
ftp.cdrom.com has >1 cpu, though.

You shouldn't experience problems running Linux applications on
FreeBSD.  Linux isn't really "emulated" in the sense that applications
need to be translated before being executed, but rather we just use a
different set of syscall mappings for Linux programs as well as a port
that installs the necessary parts of userland Linux.  If Linux
programs are noticeably slower due to being emulated, then that is a
bug.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.