Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 14:10:34 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Shipping w/ HTTPD BAD IDEA

Hello,

> whichever they like best.  How much more simple can it get to just go to the
> ports dir and do a make install?  If you cant do that, you probably shouldnt be
> running a web server anyhow.

	just because you don't have complete internet connectivity
doesn't mean you can't put a server to good use.  I have 3-4 Unix
boxes on my home network with an httpd server running on one of them.
I can access html files on it from any of the other systems.  When
I find a really usefull page that I access alot I pull it down to
the local server and thereafter can access it locally (spell that
MUCH FASTER!), granted sometimes with some editing.

	as long as we package these things to be installed optionally
it gives the user some choices.  The big plus about Linux I hear
from it's users is that they have a wealth of runnable programs to
choose from WITHOUT having to be able to program or troubleshoot,
or own large disks, or know enough to configure a complex tool, etc.

					Steve Passe
					smp@clem.systemsix.com