Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:47:40 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Advanced Format Drive ?

OK, so I'm lazy.  Guilty as charged.  I started to do some googling
around to try and find out what the meaning of this warning on the
anti-static bag outside of my brand new 1TB hard drive might be, and
what the implications might be for FreeBSD, but so far all I am finding
is seemingly endless discussions on some of the mailing lists that
seem to go on forever without ever reaching any definitive conclusion(s).

So could someobody just give it to me straight and briefly?  What's the
bottom line here?  What, if anything, do I have to do _differently_ than
what I am accustomed to in order to put a good old fashioned MBR partition
table on this thing, and then to create a slice #1 and then use bsdlabel
to slice that up in turn into a set of UFS parititions?

Is there _anything_ that I will have to do differently than I did for the
last 20 drives I've used with FreeBSD over the last 10+ years?

Note that I have _no_ intention to use ZFS.  (I gather that there may
perhaps be some issue with using ZFS together with "Advanced Format"
drives.)