Date:      19 Feb 2002 17:13:44 +0000
From:      Simon Dick <simond@irrelevant.org>
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keyboard probing problem during installation

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 16:57, Randy Pratt wrote:
> I'm helping a friend to install FreeBSD on his machine 250 miles away.
> We're having some trouble with keyboard detection on versions later than 4.0.
> Version 4.0 detected the keyboard and the probing finished:
>
> 	atkbdc0: <keyboard controller (i0842)> at port 0x60-0x6f on isa0
> 	atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
>
> Using version 4.4 or 4.5 (cdroms), the installation seemed to hang when it
> started probing hardware.  After doing some digging (man boot), I found that
> if the keyboard is not detected, the output is sent to the serial port
> instead of the internal display which is why it appeared to hang.
>
> In checking the mail archives, I found there was a change to the way the
> keyboard was probed between 4.0 and 4.1.  The atbkd driver flag
> FAIL_IF_NO_KBD (0x1) was added along with other changes for USB support.
> Changing this flag in the hardware configuration didn't seem to help (0x0,
> 0x2, 0x3).
>
> We also tried some different booting options:  boot -P, boot -D and boot -h.
> A few combinations of boot options and keyboard flags were tried also.  Any
> suggestions for a combination to try would be appreciated.
>
> The Plug and Play option was set to off during all the testing.
>
> It doesn't seem to be an issue with the keyboard itself since two keyboards
> were tried.  There are no problems with keyboard detection on his windows or
> Corel Linux installations.
>
> This box is a Gateway PII 450 using an Advaced Logic Reseach motherboard
> and Phoenix bios 4.0 Release 6.
>
> An installation of 4.0 could probably be accomplished but it would be better
> if a later version could be used.  Of course, upgrading from 4.0 would pose a
> problem also.
>
> Any insight, direction or suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm not sure
> what to suggest to him to try at this point.  I've put the hand-transcribed
> probe results from 4.0 at the end for reference.  Its understood that there
> may be other <unknown> hardware issues after installation.

I know that feeling well, my desktop PC never gets it's keyboard
detected by FreeBSD, if you can get to the visual configuration screen
then you can change the atkbd flags to 0x0 which should allow you to use
it. I admit that I've started building my own releases with that flag
set to 0x0 though as the visual config sometimes doesn't work here :)