Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2012 15:05:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        bourne.identity@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Facing a strange problem with Boot Manager

> Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 22:09:09 +0530
> From: Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Facing a strange problem with Boot Manager

> When all installation work finished, FreeBSD would boot when I press F2
> but pressing F1 would fail to boot XP with the error :
>
> "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot"
>
> Can anybody suggest what might be the problem and any possible solution ?

No help on a fix.  i'm fighting that exact problem on a FreeBSD 8.3
install on a 2nd sata drive with xp pro on the 1st drive.  installed
strictly to the 2nd drive -- would select in bios which to boot from.

booting fbsd works fine.
attempting to boot th XP drive gives the above error.

Apparently the 8.3 install trashed something on the XP drive.   :((