Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:00:35 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   Release Documentation pages on Web site not being regenerated

--==_Exmh_-1708212057P

I'm not sure who should get this mail, but here goes:

Awhile back, dd@ set up some infrastructure in the Web site so that a
Web version of the release documentation for -CURRENT and 4-STABLE could
be rebuilt automatically, at the same time as the rest of the Web site.
Information on enabling this is stored in www/en/relnotes/README.

For some reason, the Web server hasn't updated these documents since
sometime in June.  I suspect that either the release documentation
source files aren't being updated, or the BUILD_RELNOTES Makefile
variable isn't being set when the Web site gets regenerated.

Is there any chance of a Web admin type person looking into this?  I'd
really like to see this working again.

If not, I'm going to push for nuking this "feature" of the Web site
(with apologies to dd@, who did a good job of implementing this stuff
IMHO)...the existing files are so out-of-date as to be essentially
useless.

Thanks,

Bruce.

PS.  Apologies if I come off as a little agitated in the above mail.  It
took a long time to get the release documentation builds turned on, and
even then, they would mysteriously stop updating every few months.  If
anybody knows why, they've never told me.

--==_Exmh_-1708212057P

--==_Exmh_-1708212057P--