Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 11:43:12 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, richard@pegasus.com
Subject:   Re: Is this (SCSI) tape drive compatible with FreeBSD?

>  >A 250meg capacity is awfully small today, and the tapes are too expensive.
> >They're also excruciatingly slow.
>
> This isn't even 250Meg. It's QIC-120 (120Meg) or QIC-150.

The Viper 150 will happily read and write the 250 and 525MB
extended-length tapes.

(Yes I have one, yes, I have used these tapes).

Whilst the criticism that these drives are "slow" and the tapes
"expensive" is not entirely without basis, it's worth bearing in mind
that these drives are *robust*, and properly stored the media are very
stable.

You won't find this in any current drive or media except (perhaps) a
DLT.

mike