Date:      Sun, 01 May 2005 21:59:07 -0400
From:      Bryant Eadon <eadonb@rpi.edu>
To:        itetcu@people.tecnik93.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache dumping core since the php changes due to recode.so ?(reply)

Yes, I am seeing the same thing -- I am stracing it and find that after my install of PHP5 on x86,
something tanks.

I have upgraded (make deinstall  of mod_php4 , make install of mod_php5 )   but the system is still
broken.

Checking the httpd.core with GDB wasn't very helpful.  I installed strace from ports and checked the
  output as the process ran with :   sudo strace httpd -X     --- I kept getting segfaults ..  So I
safely dropped the output to file:   sudo strace -o file.out httpd -X

Checking the strace output and what was going on I saw there was a problem with recode.so a module
compiled in with PHP5.  With some google searching I came up with this post, which, when I renamed
the file it indeed allowed me to fix the problem, but I wanted to know what was really happening.

So, with a bit more help on EFnet #php I was able to determine that recode.so doesn't agree with a
couple different files,  here is a website -- check the Note at the bottom for some in depth details!

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.recode.php

To summarize it:
1.  Don't include recode.so unless you really need it because it conflicts with various other .so
files.

2.  Fixing how your php.ini load order might fix the problem -- load the recode before others.

My solution was to drop recode.  Is this a bug ?  I'm not familiar with bug submission guidelines ..
if anyone would like to forward this to the developer (or if you're the developer) I'll happily
provide more details.

Later,

--
Bryant Eadon