Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:34:17 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup server loads (was: Stable broken)

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> Hello Kent,
> > Two nights ago, when nametoaddr.c was giving us a compile problem, I
> > had a cvsup7 run in 90 seconds. Last night it was taking 20 minutes. I
> > thought my Bronze+ DSL had dropped a ways.
>
> Am I doing something wrong with my cvsup? I've got a 512 kbps
> cableconnection here and mostly use cvsup.de.freebsd.org which is
> about 7 hops away (2 ATM ISP hops at the, 4 ATM hops through the
> backbone of nacamar, last is cvsup server) but I always have to
> wait several minutes til it is finished (full source tree, including
> ports + docs just for comfort).

No, you aren't doing anything wrong as far as I know. The 90 second
cvsup run was when nothing was going on. Cvsup7 is 8 hops away but is
located where almost all of the t1's connect in Washington State.
FWIW, I don't do ports and docs at the same time. Those are pretty
much independant products and a cvsup of just the source takes long
enough. When the cvsup server I use was loaded, a cvsup of src-all
required around 20 minutes. I figure that is the spread. A typical
cvsup of source requires around 4-5 minutes for me. There have been
times when a RELENG_4 src-all via 768Kbs a DSL connection required
just as long as it did when I was using my 56kb modem. When it is the
disk, the connection speed doesn't matter much.

> Local box is a K6-2 450 acting merely as NAT gateway (and development box,
> of course, but during cvsup, make world doesn't make much sense ;-).

I can't imagine doing a build while you are cvsuping. That would be a
good way to get a mixture of code that doesn't work. I finally built
everything on my firewall and NAT gateway today. That is the last
thing that gets updated. It was being cvsup'ed while my user system
was doing a buildworld. I have two user systems and they go first. I
may cvsup them all really close together but they are built one at a
time. The server is only touched when everything else works.

Everything seems to be running just fine. If there is something wrong,
I haven't noticed it.

Regards,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg