Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:32:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        Derik Wilson <dwilson32@kc.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Question (quite a bit OT)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Derik Wilson wrote:

> If anyone can let me know what is needed to register a DNS I would
> appreciate that info.  I have my apache set up but I am not sure how to
> register a named server so that I can point a domain name at it.  I can't
> point the domain name at an IP with my current registrar, only named
> servers.  Thanks

Sense you have a web server setup I'll assume you have a static IP for
that server.

So use BIND (which is installed by default) with FreeBSD or install
another DNS server from the ports collection (such as net/maradns).

To start BIND's named at boot time, add named_enable=YES to your rc.conf
file. With rcng, run "/etc/rc.d/named start" or just run "named".

Configure it to be authoritative for your zone. When using BIND, do
something like the following in your /etc/namedb/named.conf file:

zone "your-host.example.com" in {
      type master;
      file "/etc/named/your-host.example.com";
      allow-query { any; };
};

And look at the named.conf(5) man page.

Create that file (/etc/named/your-host.example.com) as a zone file.
Read the named(8) man page about "Master File Format".

You can find many examples, like:
 dig kc.rr.com soa | grep -v '^;;'
 dig kc.rr.com any | grep -v '^;;'

(Restarted named or run "ndc reload" after making changes.)

Once your named is running with new zone file, contact your registrar and
have them point your dns to your new dns service. (You may have a
web-based interface to do this. You may also need to register your host
as a nameserver.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/