Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 14:03:31 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Richard Dybiec <rdybiec@frognet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: signal 11

Richard Dybiec wrote:

> I, not long ago, tried to upgrade from 3.3FreeBSD to 3.4FreeBSD;  I put
> myself in a position such that I would have to do a complete reinstall,
> so I thought that I may as well upgrade.
> As a brief background, there is no other operating system on this
> computer and my original FBSD installation used the default file system
> layout;  by the time I learned that a / filesystem of 40 meg is too
> small, I was getting overflow messages that I couldn't (with my level of
> experience) get rid of.  Simply killing processes didn't work,  hence
> the need to reinstall.
> I installed from the 3.4 CD set.  The first time I installed, I created
> a 80 meg / file system (on a 4.2 gig disk), decided that even that might
> not take into account future upgrades, so... another install.  This
> generated a 'signal 11'  When I checked the log, I only found the rather
> useless message, 'signal 11, that's bad'.
> Sad to say, I've gone back to Linux (hopefully temporarily).
> Since there is no other OS on this system, I am at a loss.  What's a
> signal 11?  What went wrong?  How can I proceed from here?  Should I
> remake the 2 install disks?
> On a related subject,  3.4 to 4.0 is a big jump;  Is the move to 4.0
> worth it for essentially a single user?  My major concern is stability;
> what is the current 'stable' version? My LAN has only 3 machines; I work
> back and forth between them.

You may miss the important message from Busarow but it is a known
problem with the 3.4 installer, since he didn't copy you directly.
What you did is a blind install without doing your homework. There is
always a message on the current state of a release at
http://www.freebsd.org/releases. There are series of articles on each
release. In your case you need to read the errata for 3.4.

Kent

> Thanks for taking the time to read through this,
>
> Richard

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com