Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:23:41 -0000
From:      "Martyn Hill" <martyn_hill@psion.net>
To:        "Questions@FreeBSD" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Netgear Access Point ME102 conflicting with FreeBSD NIC arp tables

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C161ED.BB3D8880

Dear all

Having seemingly stumped the support people at Netgear with this one, =
perhaps someone on the list could should some light...

Our new school network is running 2 FreeBSD boxes at 4.4Stable - one as =
a gateway to our ADSL link and another as an SMB fileserver/squid proxy. =
Both boxes use Intel Pro 10/100B NICs - the gateway having 2 identical =
cards installed on different sub-nets (1 internal, 1 external as you'ld =
imagine.)

Having purchased a couple of Netgear ME102 Wireless Access Points to =
extend the network infrastructure (via Allied Telesyn 10/100 switch), we =
experience consistent difficulties when either of the 2 APs are put =
on-line.

In either case, the ARP tables get in a muddle (my language exposes my =
lack of understanding) and the MAC address of the AP is swapped with =
that of the Intel NIC in the gateway FreeBSD box (internal subnet.) This =
shows up as lack of connection to the gateway box (that hosts DHCP and =
named services) and can be seen when trying to telnet from the other =
FreeBSD box into the gateway - the ARP references that pop-up indicate =
that the IP address is oscilating between the MAC address for the AP and =
the gateway box.

The AP has a fixed IP address, set through a USB connection from a =
Windows client and has a very distinct MAC address from anything else on =
the network.

Our wireless network is thus practically useless until I can resolve =
this (inbetween teaching, system administration and IT co-ordination...)

Any advice would be welcome!

Best Regards
Martyn Hill
ICT Teacher and IT Co-ordinator
St James Independent School
London

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C161ED.BB3D8880

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Having seemingly stumped the support =
people at=20
Netgear with this one, perhaps someone on the list could should some=20
light...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Our new school network is running 2 =
FreeBSD boxes=20
at 4.4Stable - one as a gateway to our ADSL link and another as an SMB=20
fileserver/squid proxy. Both boxes use Intel Pro 10/100B NICs - the =
gateway=20
having 2 identical cards installed on different sub-nets (1 internal, 1 =
external=20
as you'ld imagine.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Having purchased a couple of Netgear =
ME102 Wireless=20
Access Points to extend the network infrastructure (via Allied Telesyn =
10/100=20
switch), we experience consistent difficulties when either of the 2 APs =
are put=20
on-line.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In either case, the ARP tables get in a =
muddle (my=20
language exposes my lack of understanding) and the MAC address of the AP =
is=20
swapped with that of the Intel NIC in the gateway FreeBSD box (internal =
subnet.)=20
This shows up as lack of connection to the gateway box (that hosts DHCP =
and=20
named services) and can be seen when trying to telnet from the other =
FreeBSD box=20
into the gateway - the ARP references that pop-up indicate that the IP=20
address&nbsp;is oscilating between the MAC address for the AP and the =
gateway=20
box.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The AP has a fixed IP address, set =
through a USB=20
connection from a Windows client and has a very distinct MAC address =
from=20
anything else on the network.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Our wireless network is thus =
practically useless=20
until I can resolve this (inbetween teaching, system administration and =
IT=20
co-ordination...)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any advice would be =
welcome!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best Regards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Martyn Hill</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ICT Teacher and IT =
Co-ordinator</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>St James Independent =
School</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>London</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C161ED.BB3D8880--