Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:37:35 -0800
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why only abiword in preferred applications?

--=-TYqlproKjWcl4cSxnFSO

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 20:35 -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:26:53 -0800, Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com> wrote:
>=20
> > I cannot get gedit or anything else showing in the Default Text Editor
> > tab.  Select an Editor only shows abiword now.  I've reinstalled
> > gnomecontrolcenter2 and a few other things along with gedit2.  Nothing
> > has worked.  I've searched with the gconf editor and I do not see
> > abiword in there.  It sucks that all my clicks in nautilus now open
> > files in abiword :(
>=20
> You can change that by go to nautilus -> right click on text editor file =
=20
> -> propteries -> Open With and select what you want the default to be. I =
=20
> dislike what AbiWord team has decided to add text/plain in their mimetype=
 =20
> too. I can remove it from the *.desktop if I get the high vote.

This has nothing to do with abiword having a text/plain mimetype.  That
is perfectly legitimate to have more than one program that can handle a
particular kind of file.

I found the root cause why gedit wasn't in my selector.  It was missing
in the mimeinfo.cache.  I did an update-desktop-database and that got it
into the selector.  But now I cannot select it and have it stay.

If I select "Text Editor", which is the gedit.desktop Name, it will not
stay.  There must be some issue with gconf2 not being able to save my
selection so it always chooses the first one in the mimeinfo.cache.

--=-TYqlproKjWcl4cSxnFSO

--=-TYqlproKjWcl4cSxnFSO--