Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 10:34:35 +0100
From:      Werner Koch <wk@isil.d.shuttle.de>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GRUB and rootdev

Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> writes:

> you're doing it the wrong way -- you need to hack GRUB to recognize the
> FreeBSD FS.  FreeBSD does not support any other root filesystem type other
> than UFS (with exception, but the Linux FS isn't one of them).

Sure, that't the correct way.  But I like to install FreeBSD first, so I can
look at it's sources.  The only problem is, that I don't know, how to tell
the kernel what the rootdev is.  The installation made a custom kernel out
of kernel.GENERIC and I' can't believe, that it is not possible to set the
rootdev into that kernel (which boots) - or does the kernel use the device
from which it is loaded as rootdev?  In that case I really have to patch
GRUB so it can load the kernel from the freebsd filesystem.

By the way, what is the difference between the FreeBSD filesystem, mentioned
in the GRUB dox and the one which is used by FreeBSD (GRUB complains that
it does not know this file system on partion with type a5)

still wondering.

--
Werner Koch, Duesseldorf  -   werner.koch@guug.de   -  PGP keyID: 0C9857A5