Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:26:40 +0900
From:      Kazukiyo UEDA <kueda@jupiter.qse.tohoku.ac.jp>
To:        joe@pavilion.net, niall@pobox.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: HELP!! Slice info disappeared

Hello Niall and Josef,

Thanks for your great help.

Finally I get all data on the disk back after the struggle on the
weekend :) I run the program you sent me, but I got nothing from it.
I guess the reason as follows:

(1) The program fetches each chunks of 16 blocks from the disk and
check if they are superblocks.

(2) My disk is sliced into 3 parts.  The fist one is for MS-DOS (FAT
format), and the rest of them are FFS.  It's highly possible that the
offset block of the beginning of FFS slice is not a multiple of 16.

(3) So I did:

    # for i in 0 1 2 3 ... 15; do
    # ./findsb /dev/wd2 $[ (estimated end of block for FAT slice)*512 + $i*512 ]
    # done

After I got the info from the superblocks, getting back data was easy.
Again, thanks much for your great help.  You saved a lot of my time to
reconstruct the data from scratch.

Sincerely yours,

--
Kazukiyo Ueda