Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 00:41:59 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual personality crypt.

> > Mark, Great idea.
> >
> > I think you should offer an option to make new encryptions
> > 	a) DES
> > 	b) MD5
> > 	c) "the same as before"
> >
> > to make it general.  I don't know if you can do this without changing
> > the passwd program btw.
> >
> Yes, I like this. I would not like to be forced to have ALL new passwords
> using des.

Hey everybody...

I hope you remember that password entries could be used by other
programs rather than login, su and passwd.  If we change the crypt(3)
function drastically we may have to do lot's of new ports to deal
with these new incompatibilities.  I think it's better to have the
problems we have now rather than making a new incompatibilty when
comparing to other systems.

Think of this before new "great" ideas.  If this change is REALLY
transparent, do it.  If not, let it be an option, p'p'p'p'pleaaaase.

					Jonny

PS: No, I'm not Roger Rabbit... :)

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@coe.ufrj.br