Date:      Fri, 23 Sep 2022 15:42:19 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: data, metadata, backup, and archive integrity and correction

On 9/23/22 07:28, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-09-21 at 03:58 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
>> Integrity checking of data and metadata is important -- both for live
>> data and, especially, for backups and archives.
>
> Hi David,
>
> good to read that I'm not alone :).
>
> I don't care that much for live data. To loose a few minutes or even a
> few days isn't fun, but bearable. Backups and archives can contain a
> full life.
>
> Unfortunately integrity checks are way to often a PITA :(.
>
> My current strategy is an obsessional neurosis. It's a little bit more a
> psychopathological workaround, than a computer technical attempt.
>
> I have got tons of backups (unfortunately not stored in different
> locations, just on different drives) and from time to time I restore
> backups or archives using a sandbox, just for testing purpose.

Redundancy of backups is a good thing.  So is taking backup media out of
rotation and archiving it.  "Defense in depth."  "Don't put all of your
eggs in one basket."

One of the reasons I wanted storage with built-in integrity checking and
correction is because of an experience I had using storage without those
features.  I believe I was migrating my bulk data from an older, smaller
store to a newer, bigger store.  I wrote a script to validate the move
(using cmp(1)?).  I checked the new store against the old store -- okay.
  I checked the new store against a backup of the old store -- one
photograph file differed by a few bits.  All versions of the photograph
file opened correctly with a viewer.  All photographs looked the same on
the screen.  But, at least one file is corrupt.  Which file(s)?  I never
figured it out.  I kept all versions of the file.  (And, I have kept all
camera media.)

David