Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:29:30 +0800 (PHT)
From:      "Francis A. Vidal" <francis@usls.edu>
To:        Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: restricted FTP-only user

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> > i'm setting up an account for some staff to be able to upload files to the
> > web server. i want them to be chrooted to the DocumentRoot of the
> > webserver and will have no shell access except FTP access.
>
> Create the account, and make its home directory the DocumentRoot of your
> webserver. Then put the account name in the file /etc/ftpchroot. Also,
> give this account a shell like /sbin/nologin, and make sure
> /sbin/nologin has an entry in /etc/shells (to allow FTP logins).

aha, now i know. what i did is to create a login class in /etc/login.conf
and changed the shell for ftp-users, which worked, but i like your
suggestion. btw, will chrooting allow him to traverse symbolic links to
directories?

--
francis vidal   university of st. la salle, bacolod city, philippines
. . . . . . .   PGP key available via e-mail / subject: get PGP key