Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:34:37 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Userconfig wont remember my settings in 3.1-RELEASE

Hello All,

I've just upgraded to 3.1-RELEASE and I am having some trouble with the
kernel userconfig program. I disable all the unwanted devices, and tweak the
IRQ and IO of my net card, and the kernel then boots fine. Lovely!

The problem is next time I boot (without running userconfig), all the
devices become enabled again, and the IRQ/IO settings are lost. This used to
work on 3.0-RELEASE and earlier (ie. the settings were remembered). What
gives? Where are the settings stored?

This is the steps that I perform to run userconfig:

The system starts with the BTX loader 1.0 (whatever that is, it's new).
Then I get a 10 second counter, which I interrupt by pressing a key
Then I enter 'boot -c' at the prompt (This took a bit of working out).
Lastly I type 'visual' when I get the userconfig prompt.
Up comes the familliar fullscreen userconfig program.

Help appreciated,

Cheers,

Jeff Bond