Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:31:11 +0300
From:      Vlad Skvortsov <vlad@high.net.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw + ppp -nat (and kernel hacking ?)

	Hello.

	I'm experiencing misunderstanding of principles of ipfw rules
	processing when running aliased (-nat) ppp connection.

	My server is our home lan's proxy and gateway to outside world. I
	run ppp to provider with NAT enabled. Of course I run ipfw too.
	The problem is that I cannot quite understand what's going on when
	packet from our internal network get to my ppp interface. Is it
	first going through firewall rules and after that gets its address
	aliased ? Or does it go through throuw rules after aliasing ? Or
	does it combines just described behaviors ? I didn't find an answer
	from man pages.

	Sorry for probably stupid question and sorry for putting the second
	question to the same message (that's because I think the answer for
	the first one is trivial).

	The question is: I wanna learn, HOW do I ? I consider myself
	expirienced programmer and average administrator. All I want is to
	learn myself the internals of FreeBSD and its network stack. But I
	don't know where to start - looking through kernel code is a bit
	confusing - I can't find ends :-(.

	Is there any public resources that would give some start punch ?
--
Vlad Skvortsov, vss@ulstu.ru, vlad@high.net.ru