Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 02:20:39 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> > > On that subject, why does everyone compare slackware to the BSDs?
> >
> > Rigor.
> > The BSDs have more academic rigor (though not as much as an
> > academic project, by half).  Slackware also has academic
> > rigor, where correctness is the most important thing.
>
> Maybe definitions differ -- but it seems among linux users, anyway, the
> distribution which is generally highly regarded for rigour is Debian.

Debian apparently has a NetBSD based distribution as well, now.

I think if we are including Linux at all, we are using a
looser definition of rigor than we would otherwise prefer,
since the code isn't even under source control.

Just because Slackware exhibits rigor in that they don't do
things like ship unreleased versions of GCC with conflicting
version numbers vs. official releases, doesn't mean that
Debian doesn't also.

You asked why people "compare Slackware to the BSDs", not why
people "compare Slackware to the BSDs instead of other Linux
distributions, including Debian".

If you want to ask a more specific question, don't beat
around the bush, implying its domain, just ask the thing!

8-)

> Also, a package management system which does not do dependency
> tracking and upgrades of dependencies (which, as far as I can make
> out, Slackware's does not) is not "rigorous" or "correct" -- you can
> seriously hose your system.  The BSD system is closer to correctness
> but still has problems; the portupgrade scripts make things much
> better but can't handle all situations either.  Debian's system really
> seems to be the best of the lot in this respect.

Different topic.

I don't like the Debian system, for a number of reasons.  The
FreeBSD system has its warts, as well, but at least I am well
aware of those warts, and can work around them.

-- Terry