Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 16:33:35 +0200
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'Spamoff'" <Spambait@tampabay.rr.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SV: Packages - how do you use therm

> Hello  :)

Hello Sire.

> I've been going around in circles with these and am getting nowhere
> depsite
> having Greg's book and looking at the web site.

Just got the book today, looks very impressive. When reading my
answers, have in mind
I am sort of a newbie, but I try =P.

> 1)   Can someone pleasqe expalin to me, succinctly, how you use
> packages after
> you have installed them using /stand/sysinstall OR pkg_add.

I am not sure what you mean here, but if you mean how do I run the
programs it's a
matter of locating the binary and run. Use 'locate' if necessary.

> I've done it both ways, I searched for their location. I've tried to
> read the
> files present and failed pretty much.

What package do you have problems with?

> Packages are supposed to be binary from what I understand, and ports
> are src
> that you build ???

That is a correct assumption yes.

> 2)   What's the advantage, if any, of using the ports ?  I'm sure you
> can
> change locations but what else ?

Ports are often more up to date than the binary packages. ( Gurus: if I
am wrong here, so please
correct me ).

/ Thomas