Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 13:30:49 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdb docs

>I was bringing my new machine to current, and during the virginal make
>world, noticed it stopped while in gdb/doc.  I went back to my main
>machine, did a make clean there, and found it too stopped in gdb/doc.
>
>Assuming for the moment that this _is_ broken ....

It's broken because it has a pointer to the non-contrib libreadline,
which no longer exists.

It works here because my bsd.info.mk is a little different and the error
leaks out of a pipe.

>It seems that a file from gdb/readline named rluser.texinfo isn't being
>brought in, that seems to be causing it.  The way that gdb is organized,
>tho, makes me wonder what the right fix is.  Normally, I thought that
>stuff that has sources based in contrib was supposed to use those sources
>directly as much as possible, but gdb doesn't seem to do that; most of the
>sources for gdb have been committed to the /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb
>hierarchy, so they exist twice, once in /usr/src/contrib, and again in
>/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb.

contrib/gdb is not actually used.  It contributes a measly 24MB of the
75MB of bloat that came when we started using contrib.

>The one exception to this is that rluser.texinfo file.  The Makefile in
>gdb/doc forces an include of the usr.bin/gdb/readline/doc, but the
>rluser.texinfo is in /usr/src/contrib/gdb/readline/doc.

No, the Makefile forces an include of ../faraway/lib/libreadline/doc where
rluser.texinfo was, but the version of rluser.texinfo that was there is
now in contrib/libreadline (perhaps actually a later version :), and of
course contrib brings it in all other gnu software that uses it (only
gdb so far).  The rluser docs for gdb should come from libreadline and
not from gdb, since the version actually used is the one in libreadline.

Bruce