Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 00:07:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Needed: Info on shells and script writing

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:
 %    Note: Do not change root's shell. It must be either sh or csh, because
 %    otherwise you may not have a working shell when the system puts you
 %    into single user mode.

Jonathan Chen writes:
 > Is this true? I've got tcsh as my root's shell, and when I `shutdown'
 > into single user, FreeBSD prompts me for the shell to use (in which
 > case I accept the default `sh').

Sun used to grumble and groan, and occasionally even refuse to provide
support, if you changed root's shell, especially to something not
provided by Sun.

The old-timers answer to your question is to make a root synonym account
that uses the shell of choice.  For instance, all of my systems have a
rootb account with UID and GID 0, and the shell set to bash.  This is
the idea behind the BSD-standard 'toor' account also.