Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:08:29 +0000
From:      j.e.drews@att.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should gcc be accessable by others?

Hi:

 I see that gcc, g++, and other tools are usable by world (others). I was wondering if that is a bad idea as I read here:
http://www.itworld.com/nl/lnx_sec/09242002/pf_index.html

that the slapper worm used gcc to compile it's exploit.
Excerpt:
The worm requires gcc to compile the .bugtraq.c file. ....

 Is it a good idea to change the permisions on the gcc tools to 750 ? I looked through the FreeBSD Handbook and could find no advice on this matter. Also are there other tools that should not be available like strace? How can I find out which ones are potentially exploitable?
I am a newcomer to FreeBSD and have been using it for less than a year so don't be cross if these questions are naive.

                                 Kind regards,
                                 Jonathan

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?061620041608.19913.40D0707D000648FA00004DC921587667559C990A9D0BD20AD206>