Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 21:31:33 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bob@obiwan.pmr.com, freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Proper procedure to partition/label disk now?

>What is the correct way to partition and disklabel a disk now that
>the slice code is in -current?  I have a disk that I just low-level
>formated (so it has *nothing* on it) that I would like to partition
>and disklabel for FreeBSD.  How do I go about this?

For using the whole disk for FreeBSD, just run disklabel.  The man
page may actually be complete now that the 'd' partition isn't
special.  This assumes that the disk really is clean, without
misleading junk in the partition table.

Partitioning and labeling can be practiced on virtual (vn) drives.
See old commit mail.

Bruce