Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:07:49 -0600
From:      Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Migrating vinum plexes to a new volume

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:04:24AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Monday, 17 March 2003 at 15:00:55 -0600, Tillman wrote:
>
> What you want to do is to remove the plexes iso2.p[01], and attach
> their subdisks to iso.p[01].  That will increase the size of those
> plexes to 5.5GB.  Then run growfs.

I seem to have run into a "device busy" problem. Here's what I've done:

[root@athena root]# mount | grep iso2
(no output - volume iso2 is not mounted)

[root@athena root]# vinum
vinum -> stop iso2
vinum -> lv iso2
V iso2                  State: down     Plexes:       2 Size:       1500MB
vinum -> rm iso2
Can't remove iso2: Device busy (16)
vinum -> stop iso2.p0
vinum -> stop iso2.p1
Can't stop iso2.p1: Device busy (16)
vinum -> ls iso2.p0.s0
S iso2.p0.s0            State: down     PO:        0  B Size:       1500 MB
vinum -> ls iso2.p1.s0
S iso2.p1.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       1500 MB
vinum -> stop iso2.p1.s0
Can't stop iso2.p1.s0: Device busy (16)

I don't appear to be able to stop the other half of the mirror in order
to be able to successfully rm the volume and the plexes. I haven't tried
the -f option due to dire warnings in the man page ;-)

My current train of thought is that the mirror is still "active" in some
sense, and thus vinum is protecting the mirroring when I want to stop
both halves of it. The manual says "By default, vinum does not stop
active objects." However, I don't know what would be making it active -
it's not mounted and I seem to be unable to stop all of the volumes
subordinate objects.

> > Are there any potential pitfalls involving dataloss?
>
> You'll lose all data on iso2.

That's fine, it was volume iso I was worried about.

Thanks for sharing your time,

-T

--
"...you could spend *all day* customizing the title bar.  Believe me.
I speak from experience."